What Sets Us Apart
We are a modern, client-centric law firm that utilizes the most recent and best-in-class technology to service our clients efficiently. This approach allows us to provide exceptional legal services and an exceptional customer experience.
Further, we are the rare law firm that has removed the inefficiency of an outdated legal services model, so we can be a key advisor without inflating your legal bills. In other words, we charge less than some other firms because we utilize technology to increase efficiency and lower overhead. You pay less without sacrificing the quality of the work.
Rather than paying high rates for legal counsel whose interests are not aligned with yours, when you engage Fournier Legal Services, you are working with a firm that supports and furthers your business strategy.
- We give clients access to a secure client portal, where they can access their important documents, message us, and make payments online 24/7
- Clients can electronically sign almost all documents online and from remote locations
- We believe in a “less paper” philosophy – improved efficiency, improved security and longevity of your files, lower overhead costs for us means lower legal bills for you, and environmentally friendly
- Less reliance on mailing – we can service you faster and spend more time on legal, rather than administrative, matters
- Improved customer service – we care – individual and personalized service in a friendly environment
- Client responsiveness – we respond to all client inquiries within 24 hours – every client, all the time
Joseph E. Fournier
Joseph E. Fournier is an Attorney and a CPA who has more than twenty years of experience advising and leading companies and individuals in a variety of capacities.
Joe has significant experience in a variety of business legal matters, including start-ups and company formations, drafting shareholder and operating agreements, contracts, employment law, commercial litigation, tax planning and audit defense, and mergers and acquisitions (M&A). He also handles estate planning matters, such as business succession planning, wills, trusts, and probate.
Joe has a unique perspective on how to represent and advise his clients because prior to starting his own law firm, he spent more than five years in the Boston office of PricewaterhouseCoopers, the largest professional services firm in the world, served as General Counsel for one of the nation’s largest medical records management companies, and then spent three years as Managing Attorney and COO for one of the nation’s leading high volume personal injury law firms.
Joe received his law degree from the University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill School of Law and his Accounting degree from the University of Rhode Island. He is admitted to practice law in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island, and he is a CPA. He is periodically an Adjunct Professor and lecturer at the University level and has been a frequent speaker on business planning and legal matters.
Nicole S. Shepter
Nicole is an Associate Attorney for the firm. Nicole began her career in the public sector as a Staff Attorney with the Legal Aid Society in New York City, where she gained substantial courtroom experience, including representing clients in felony trials. She later transitioned to plaintiff’s employment litigation and has represented employees in state and federal courts in Connecticut and California. While employment litigation remains her primary focus, she also has experience in estate planning and landlord-tenant disputes.
Nicole graduated with a B.A. from Dartmouth College and received her law degree from Tulane University Law School, where she served as the Managing Editor of the Tulane Journal of International and Comparative Law. She was also invited to participate in the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot held in Vienna, Austria. Today, Nicole is licensed to practice in Connecticut, California, and New York.
In her spare time, Nicole enjoys cooking, hiking, and camping. She is an avid traveler and usually can be found planning her next trip, whether it takes her to the other side of the state or the other side of the world.
Haley E. Veller
Haley is Of-Counsel to the firm. Haley’s practice focuses on Family Law, Probate Law, and Estate Planning. She also served as a Staff Attorney in the Probate Court System for 13 years. She loves to help clients through the court process during what is a difficult time in their lives.
Born and raised in Vermont, Haley came to CT to attend Quinnipiac University School of Law. In Law School, she was President of the Public Interest Law Project serving the needs of the underrepresented. She also served as a participant and coach of the Moot Court Appellate Court Program. Haley earned her bachelor degree at the University of Vermont in Burlington.
Growing up in Vermont, Haley developed her love of all things outdoors including hiking, biking, skiing, and playing with her dog. She and her husband also enjoy spending time at the sea shore and listening to live music.
Rachel is of-counsel to the firm, operating primarily out of our New Haven, CT office. She focuses on Probate administration and litigation and Estate Planning (Wills and Trusts). Rachel has a wonderful “bedside manner” which she uses to find efficient yet creative solutions that alleviate the difficulties clients face during highly stressful legal situations.
Rachel graduated from Goucher College with a degree in History and received her law degree from the University of New Hampshire School of Law. Rachel’s litigation experience includes representing clients as both a public defender for the Connecticut Division of Public Services and family staff attorney for Connecticut Legal Services. She has valuable courtroom experience and powerful negotiation skills.
Rachel lives in Hamden, CT, and in her rare free time enjoys traveling, black & white photography, cooking, and yoga.
Sally O’Hara Landback
Sally is of-counsel to the firm, operating primarily out of our CT office. She has more than 20 years of experience working on corporate and business matters in both a law firm setting and as corporate counsel at an international franchisor. Sally has significant M&A experience. She also enjoys helping businesses with startup issues, employee agreements, and contracts, including technology, software licensing, and SAAS agreements.
Sally strives to make sure her client’s business needs are being met while keeping a close eye on the bottom line costs.
Sally graduated from the Mount Holyoke College with a degree in History, with a focus on Chinese intellectual history, and received her law degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law.
Sally enjoys gardening, mountain climbing, backpacking, and kayaking on Long Island Sound.
Amanda is the firm’s Senior Paralegal. She is from East Haven, CT where she grew up and still currently resides. She received her Paralegal certificate from Branford Hall Career Institute in 2014 and joined Fournier Legal Services shortly thereafter.
She assists the firm by doing a variety of tasks including maintaining and organizing files, conducting legal research, drafting documents, and general office management. Importantly, Amanda carries the torch for the firm’s customer service and customer experience initiatives, and anyone who has interacted with her knows that she often goes out of her way to make sure our clients “have a better day”. She loves working at Fournier Legal Services and being able to interact with clients and helping in any way possible.
While not at work, she enjoys spending time with her family, friends and pets, baking, traveling & watching the TV show Friends.
Nicholas is a Paralegal in our East Haven, CT office. He joined Fournier Legal Services in 2017. Nick provides a supportive role in many aspects of the organization, including gathering and analyzing correspondence, preparing discovery on litigation matters, telephone support, communicating with clients and related parties, providing transportation and investigative services when necessary, and managing a contracts database for one of our largest clients. Nick lives in East Haven, CT. In his free time, when he is not winning Fortnite battles, Nick likes to keep in great shape playing indoor soccer.
- The Business Case for Outsourcing Release of Information
- ADVANCE for Health Information Professionals magazine.
- Release of Information – Are Hospitals Taking a Hit?
- November 2008 issue of Healthcare Financial Management (HFM) Association magazine.
- E-Discovery: What does it mean for you?
- Authored and presented at the AHIMA Legal EHR conference in Chicago, IL, in August, 2008.
- Presented at the TX HIM annual conference in June, 2008.
- Presented at the PA HIM annual conference in May, 2008.
- Presented at the NH HIM annual conference in December, 2007.
- Authored, and presented at AHIMA national conference in October, 2007.
- Time to Get Your Electronic Records Management House in Order: Understanding Litigation and eDiscoveryCalifornia Evidence Code Section 1158 Causes Confusion (co-authored, blinded). CA Health Information Association (CHIA) Journal, October 2006.
- For The Record magazine Fall 2008.
- Release of Information: What is a Reasonable Price to Charge for this Service (co-authored, blinded). June 2004
- What are Reasonable Cost-based Copy Charges When an Individual Requests Access to Protected Health Information under the HIPAA Privacy Rule? (co-authored, blinded). June 2003.
- Tax Issues Affecting Litigation (co-authored). Presented in 2000.
- Tax Considerations for the Sale of a Business. Authored and presented at RI CLE seminar in 2000.
- Legislation. Drafted introduced and/or enacted legislation for many states, including Michigan (2003), Indiana (2005), Rhode Island (2000, 2005), Colorado (2007), Illinois (2008), Iowa (2007, 2008), and North Carolina (2008).